Friday, May 7, 2010

Quilt Day

What a great day this is already. My friend Heather posted pictures of her new son's 100 Good Wishes quilt on her blog. and this is my day to go to meet my friends for quilt day.
Heather's quilt, for her son Jake, is just gorgeous, many people, who know the family, sent 9" quilt squares along with a good wish for Jake, the little one they adopted from China. The quilt lady did all the quilting in red to go along with the Chinese proverb about the invisible red thread that joins people who are destined to be in each other's lives. This always makes me think of the red cord that Rahab, in the Old Testament, place in the window of her home in Jericho, so she and her family would be saved. It represents the red cord that has run down through history symbolizing our salvation in Jesus Christ.
I really love that quilt, it's huge and she posted pics of Jake all wrapped up in it. Cute!

Today is my quilt day, several of the women from my church get together to sew/ share and work on their craft projects, but actually Jan and Barbara are teaching most of us to quilt.

I am so excited, that really seems a little silly, doesn't it? But I love working on my little table topper quilt. It's a Christmas theme and very cute. I started by hand piecing, but I quickly realized that if I have to spend that much time doing this little quilt, I will never finish it, because I bore quickly. So I changed the plan after piecing about one row and some trim by hand, I switched to the good old sewing machine. It's moving along much faster now, even though I only work on it on quilt days.

I guess I enjoy the fellowship of the other women, chatting, going to lunch and just seeing what every one else is working on, it's pretty inspiring.

There is a plan for another scrapbooking/ quilting weekend get-away in the fall. Late September or the first weekend in October is the idea. I think that sounds great. 24 hours (for our group only stays one night) of non-stop scrapbooking. Well OK, we do stop and sleep, and of course we eat, but there is no one asking for meals or any of that junk, we just scrapbook our little brains out. Some ladies bring all their quilting stuff and work on that. I love spending the time scrapbooking.

Well, I am off to work on my Christmas table topper. Oh, I think we are going to go to lunch and JoAnn fabrics too, what a great day.

2 comments:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Donna, I thought I posted anonymously on one of your recent posts but I don't see it...are you hiding my posts?? What's the deal? I am jealous...wish we lived closer! I'm not as good at this scrapbooking and sewing as you are, but I think I could get into it a little more if I had a little more "inspiration from from friends" to keep me focused. (inspiration=lunch date)

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun.. wish I was there, too. I'm working at the library all day today and tomorrow... bummer. But, guess I'll like it when it's time for the paycheck.

Sharon