Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day 2010

 


Every year from the Friday before until Labor Day there is a huge festival on the square in Independence, MO. Independence is just outside of Kansas City, MO. It is the originating place for the Sante Fe Trail. Yes it is, look it up. ........they have this huge festival that has spilled out of the square and onto surrounding streets. It's great and we usually go to it. Even when we lived in Texas we would sometimes come back and go to it. I love to get a turkey leg, Bill gets a funnel cake, and the home made root beer is great. This is the first place I ever ate, or even heard of kettle corn. It's sweet and salty and when made correctly tastes just a little bit scorched. I won't say burned, because that is just a little too much. It's great, they have lots of craft booths, church displays, community interest things, and you can even register to vote.  Or you can just wander around like the other 50,000 people do, then go home. I love it.

 SantaCalaGon days is the kick off for all the great fall festivals around here. Most of the same craft booths and vendors and food will appear at all of them, but I can't go a whole year without that great smoked turkey leg. I passed on it for today, but I know that come Sept 24th, Liberty, MO is having their fall festival. I'll get my turkey leg fix then, maybe.

Here are some pictures from the festivities and around Independence, MO. What president came from Ind, MO? Do you know?


The Independence courthouse


That's Harry himself



Look closely, there's Bill and Donna


Love that funnel cake



The home of Harry S. Truman, 33rd President of the United States of America.




Independence, MO has quite a large Mormon community. This is the temple built back in the 1990's, I think. I have been inside once, and it is very impressive. The pipe organ is huge, and sounds amazing. The spire is open to the sky, kind of looks like a giant  ice cream  cone.


Thanks for touring with us today.

1 comment:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Great post. Wish I could be there to go to some of these places with you! Good pic of The Mister!