Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kitchen Update

Some times working this blog stuff is very confusing. I had so much trouble with post the photos from the birthday party I almost just quite the whole mess. Hopefully today's post will go better. I think I know what I did wrong the last time.

Sunday night after church I heard a friend of ours say they were going to our daughter's house on Monday to get the piano that has been stored in her basement for a long time. That is where my antique jelly cupboard has been also. Here was a crew of several strong teen aged boys, one sensible and extremely careful adult to supervise and a truck. Hey, could they just grab my cupboard too, and bring it over to my house?

They said yes!!!

We got this great hand built cupboard out of an 1800's farm house we rented in Pennsylvania several years ago. The owner sold the place and told us we could take anything we wanted. There were two of these cupboards in the basement. The one that I have here is the smaller of the two.
After being unused in Dawn's basement for 6 1/2 years it smelled kind of musty, so I decided to paint it. I started on the inside.


It definitely brightened it up. Since I still don't have kitchen cabinets, I am using one half to store food and the other side for dishes. I think it will work out very well. The doors have a 'dry brush' finish on them which I am trying out to see if I like it.
Now I did have a little help with the painting.





Tucker kept barking at the door on the cupboard, and sticking his nose underneath the shelf paper. He was whining and crying and barking, until I found a tennis ball bone under the jelly cupboard. He was completely happy after I got it out for him.

I am completely happy now that I have somewhere to put all my stuff and have it out of the way. I am going to get my dishes out tomorrow. I won't get them all, but just enough to feel at home again. I'm done with cute plastic summer dishes.



                                                

2 comments:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Now that's progress! Looks good, and fits the bill for you perfectly right now! Good move, tapping the young gents on the shoulder for the brawn and the adult for the brain. You're a smart cookie!

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Where are you, Ma'am? Haven't heard from your in a while; getting concerned!!