Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I VOTED

Today is primary day in Missouri and Kansas, probably some other places too. So, we finished our morning chores, and when I say we, I mean me. HA! Then we had some errands to run, and so we stopped at the church near our house and cast our vote.

I had just been complaining to Bill, that I haven't even heard of most of these people, and they seem to sneak in issues that have never been discussed on the news. How are you supposed to be an informed voter, when no one informs you, us, we, me? And boy do we watch the news, Bill almost never misses the news.

For example, there is a ballot issue regarding the city being reimbursed for tire disposal. Now I think it's probably a good idea for the city to be reimbursed for tire disposal, so I voted yes. Bill said that's not good, they'll charge the tire stores when we buy new tires and the tire store will charge us for the disposal. Guess I blew it there.
Next there is a charge, or fine, that the city levies when it has to go out and insist that a home owner clean up his property, or mow or what ever. Now they want to be able to issue a second fine when the inspector comes back to make sure the job has been done. $75.00. Well I think that's a good idea too. If you're going to inspect it and charge a fine, it would be good to go back and make sure that they do what they need to do in order to bring the property up to code.

And of course every one in the nation has heard that Missouri is voting on the Obama Health system. There is an opt out choice on our ballot. If it passes it will probably be challenged in the courts, then we'll see if their health plan will even hold up. Yeah, I voted for that.

It is a good feeling, that I get when I take the opportunity, given to me by the constitution, to speak my mind by voting for the issues and people on the ballot. I have faith that our constitution is strong and durable. I have faith that it can stand the test and challenges that come along.

Please vote your conscience and continue to support our freedoms by remembering your responsibility.


                                                                

1 comment:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Well, you are such a good citizen! And you have a clean house, so looks like you're cookin' with gas! so to speak... As we actually have very little local news (just Philadelphia or now Baltimore since I've moved "below the canal" i.e., Siberia), I always assumed we were an anomaly when it came to not knowing all the candidates on the ballots and every issue. LT is very good at searching it all out, but he does indeed have to search!