Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quilt project

Yesterday I worked all day  and finally finished one block. I am still not really happy with it, but just to prove my theory, I made a second one.


 I think the second is better than the first and this one only took me about an hour. I think I finally figured out what I was doing.



I actually had to swipe some fabric from other kits that I purchased at the Shop Hop, that's an earlier post. I hope that I still have enough to complete that block when I get to it. If not I'll hijack some more from somewhere else.

We went on an excursion back in September and visited 10 quilt shops around western MO. At each shop we were given a free pattern for one block designed by that shop. We were also given the opportunity to purchase a kit to complete that block. I purchased most of them, so I have quite a stash, but I planned on using it to make this quilt.

This project is going to be to complete an entire quilt called "Catch the Falling Stars". It's been designed by Connie Hevalow at the Quilt shop in Smithville, MO. We work on a quilt block each month, Quilt Block of the Month. So now I'm finished with this month, and don't know what next month will be, but I'm ready for it.
I was glad when Connie announced that she was going to use that basic quilt design and the Kansas Troubles fabric line, which I had already bought to make this quilt.



This is what it should look like when finished.

I am having trouble getting my cuts straight and accurate. I have some vision problems, but I also think I am using a ruler that is too big and gets in my way a little. I also think it's that old adage, practice makes perfect.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Donna, Love your site! I have never posted on a blog before so not even sure if you'll see this! I think the quilt is beautiful. I am excited to start one too!!! =) Janey

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Very impressive! I'm amazed, actually, because I have so little patience for these kinds of things. I like small, quick...but you surely don't get these results with small and quick! Nice!