Wednesday, June 2, 2010

I'm Back

It's been a long time. We have had our computer in the shop, and it did have some problems, but it turns out that our cable company has some of their own problems. We got a new modem. This is the third one in two months. We  had our original one for four years, then after getting really tired of outages, we decided to call in the pros. Well it's been an ongoing thing. We finally went in to the cable 'store'. I told the guy I hear people saying all the time that they have so much trouble with their cable, and up until this year we never have had any problems. And he answered, "oh, didn't you know it's your turn?" He was cute, so I let it pass.
What in the world did we ever do before Internet? I think we read books.


But I have been contemplating that question. Didn't I know it's my turn?

My turn for what. I know that things are tough all over, and on the problem scale, I think I have gotten off very easy. But have you ever noticed that when we hit a snag on the hiking trail through life, we often ask why? Why did this happen to me? Why do I have to get caught in this position, why?
Perhaps we're asking the wrong question, maybe we should start with, wow, it's been a while since I have been here, and what is the purpose of this bump in the road.
Sometimes I start thinking I have a very rough life, and that things are hard, but in reality that is not at all true. In fact it's quite the opposite.
 
All of our three children enjoy good health, in fact the middle kid is training for another race. She'll be doing a half 'Iron Man' in September.
Our first born is getting ready to send both of her sons to church camp, for the first time. I know they'll all be a bit anxious but they'll survive.
And our son is embarking on a new career, and we are going to take their daughter to church camp with us this summer.
And just when we needed some cash, Bill got a call to do a job for a friend of ours, it will pay well and we'll run out of month before the end of the cash, so all is well.

I think it's good for us to take stock. We go to the Kansas City VA for our health care, it is our only access to health care and at first I was very resistant to it. But I am happy now that we have this blessing in our lives. The care is great and if you do have to wait, there is an added bonus. I always see someone who is in far greater need than I. I don't say this flippantly, but I believe that God allows me to see that there are far worse circumstances than my own, it always makes me very humble, and I certainly feel very blessed that my burden is such a small one.
So, if it is my turn, I'll take it, I may not like it or even be kind to others while I am enduring, but I'll try to remember that even on the trail of life, we do have to take turns.

1 comment:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Great post. It does make you aware of your blessings when you have occasion to see another's struggles. Thanks!