Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lady Bug, Lady Bug, Fly away Home

Lady Bug and Kathy W
A couple of weeks ago we had our Ladies Banquet at church. It was a summer theme, Lady Bug. The idea was to encourage our ladies to walk and talk and sit and be like a lady. Of course our inspiration and direction is from the Bible.  It was a nice evening. We had a lovely meal, pasta salad, fried chicken, watermelon. And homemade apple pie. The pies were made by several of our ladies the day before. We even had the pie served with vanilla ice cream. The meal was served by the men of our church, and was very good.
Well, then we had a song and then this crazy woman came out calling herself "Lady Bug". She was talking about the lady bugs she had purchase on the Internet and how they had gotten lose all over the church. She was trying to catch them with a butterfly net. Imagine trying to catch 1500 ladybugs with a butterfly net? It was a nice evening. I think everyone had a good time, but I don't think she caught a single lady bug.

Lady bugs are a great insect repellent. They actually eat the harmful insects, which invade our gardens and ruin our plants. They got their name in a peculiar way when in the 'middle ages' farms in Europe were infested with swarms of hungry bugs. The farmers prayed to the Virgin Mary for her help, and seemingly on request, these spotted beetles arrived. The spotted bugs began to eat up the harmful bugs, leaving the plants alone.
The farmers, grateful that their prayers had been answered, called the bugs Our Lady Beetles. This over time was shortened to Lady beetles, then to Lady Bug. I thought this was a really interesting story, as I researched for the banquet. I had often wondered how they had gotten that name.
There are a lot of interesting facts about lady bugs.

Did you know, for instance, that there are many, and I do mean a lot, of different species of lady bugs.
Scientists and I suppose other lady bugs can tell there type by the number of spots on their backs.
Superstitions abound around the bug as well. In France if a lb lands on you, you will have good luck, your illnesses will be healed, and so on.

At our banquet several ladies brought us insight as to how we are known by our 'spots' as well. We need to look and talk and sit and move, and generally behave in the ways we see God has instructed us in His WORD.  I know that I often fall short of this mark. You know it is remarkable, though, I am aware when I do fall short, and I am sorry that I have disappointed my heavenly father. But I am glad He forgives, and it makes me eager to try to do better next time.
I am glad that I am His child, and I am glad He lets me start over each day.

 


Lady bug, Lady bug, fly away home.
Your house is on fire and your children are alone.

2 comments:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

I did not know that! Interesting post. And here's one for you: did you know the lady bug is the state bug of Delaware? Well, here's how it came about. Some smarty pants second grade teacher made it her goal to have her class get the state legislature to enact something...and she came up with the idea of having her kids write to prompt them to make the lady bug the state bug of Delaware. In Milford, DE, there is a gift shop full of nothing but lady bug items. I wonder if they have lady bug Farkle?

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Uhhh...one more thing. Love the pic of the lady bug!