Tuesday, July 20, 2010

That's Life

I really have not been having such a great week.  We have been given the sad news that the A/C is terminal. So now we start the bidding process to see who can give us the biggest bang for the buck. Just what I wanted to spend money on. NOT.

A couple of weeks ago another blogger, who I am really into, asked what her readers are reading. I was kind of surprised at the question, isn't it enough that I read your blog? I have actually picked up a number of blogs that I am following, and that keeps me pretty tied up. I would like those who peek in to leave me a note once in a while, it would be nice to know with whom I am having coffee.
Like I wonder who is the one from the United States? isn't that everyone of us. I don't have any international followers, so far.

Any way,,,,,,,, I have been reading the Thoenes. I was looking for something to read last year after I got the cataracts off my eyes and I could actually see again. For the longest time I just quit reading, it had become such a chore. It wasn't any fun any more, but then when things became clear again, I found I was hungry for some stories. I love  a good story with interesting characters and a lot of action. I don't mind violence or gore, but it has to be interesting. I mean gratuitous violence just doesn't hold your attention for ever.

My friend Jan said she was reading the Thoenes (pronounced taynee). They are a married couple Brock, the historian husband. And Bodie the writer, story teller wife.
Jan was reading the Zion Covenant, but at the time it didn't sound appealing to me, so I went for the Galway Chronicles. It's about the struggle of the Irish people, set in the mid 1800's. Now if you have a notion of the gentility of the British, this will set you a bit back. It's a set of four books that tell an historically accurate very moving and interesting story of the struggle of the Irish to be free of British domination. Not terribly political, but enough so that you get the idea of what the trouble is all about.

Now, having really loved the Galway series, I moved on to the Zion Covenant. This is a series of nine books. The series starts in Vienna and moves on throughout Europe in 1939. The subject is the rise of the Nazi movement and Hitler's unrelenting pursuit and annihilation of the Jewish population from the face of the earth. He was not satisfied to remove them from the Reich. He wanted them gone forever. Well we know how that worked out.
The characters are very gripping and the stories so intense that I decided after number five I was in need of a break from these books.
But I kept wondering what were they doing? So I started a couple of months ago with # 6 now I am onto #8. The only thing I don't care for is the addition of new characters along the way. I don't want to become interested in the lives of these new people, but before you know it, well, I'm hooked.
I have really enjoyed the series. There are enough twists and turns to keep the pages moving along. I do have a hard time putting the book down long enough to go to bed at night. But I have found that as I sleep, there are Elisa and John and the twins, right along with Lucy and Lori. I can't turn it off.

I hope you'll let me know what you're reading. I'll be done with these two in a week or so. Then I'll be on to something new.




3 comments:

Deb from WhatsInMyAttic said...

Interesting! I may need to check these out. Maybe a few days off to sit on the beach and read would do the trick. I'll have to see what I can do about that! Thanks for the review.

Sandi said...

hi Donna...i am leaving a comment because i, too, love comments on my blog...i also would like to know WHO is from the "United States"....funny.....i get that one too!!!...i left a note for you back on my blog, btw!
i wish you the best...and sure hope your AC gets fixed...at a GREAT price...
sandi lou

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Sorry about the AC. Hope that gets fixed very soon.

And, just so you know, I'm the one currently checking from Greenville, SC. :)

Love ya, Sharon